Historical HighlightsThe history of electricity in St. Vincent and the Grenadines dates back to 1931, when the Crown Colony Government began providing electricity to thirty two customers. The Company’s forerunner, the Common Wealth Development Corporation (CDC), a British based Company, took over the operations of the electricity business in 1953.
The formation of St. Vincent Electricity Services Limited (VINLEC) in 1961 set the pace for the development of the electricity sector in the country. During the early 1970’s the government acquired 49% shares, while 51% remained with the CDC. The operations were further streamlined with the enactment of the Electricity Supply Act of 1973. On July 1 1985, VINLEC became a state owned entity, when the government acquired the remaining 51% shares of the Company.
VINLEC now serves 42,000 customers and provides electricity to 98% of the populace. Electricity is generated at the Company’s diesel Power Stations that are located at Cane Hall, Lowmans Bay, Bequia, Union Island, Canouan and Mayreau. Approximately 20% of electricity is produced annually at the Hydro Plants that are located at Cumberland, Richmond and South Rivers.
VINLEC supplies electricity to its customers through a network spanning over 350 miles of 33kV, 11kV, 400V and 230V lines.
VINLEC has a staff of 316 spread across various locations and eight departments. They are Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Planning, Finance, Human Resources and Administration, Customer Services, Information Systems and Internal Audit.
VINLEC’s mission is to provide service of the best quality and value to its customers, satisfy the interest of the shareholder and employees and contribute to a high quality of life for the nation.
- 2013 The Company’s 177kW grid tied photovoltaic system was officially commissioned
- 2013 A contract was signed between VINLEC and Gilkes for the refurbishment of the South Rivers and Richmond Hydro Power Stations
- 2011 Official opening of the Lowmans Bay Power Plant. The Plant has a capacity of 17.4MW
- 2007 VINLEC officially took ownership of the Lowmans Bay Power Plant
- 2005 – Ground breaking for new power plant at Lowmans Bay on the South Western coast of St. Vincent.
- 1995 Corporate Headquarters in Paul’s Avenue was officially opened
- 1994 a 1080kW Power Plant was commissioned in Canouan. At the time, the Plant was producing power to 220 customers.
- 1993 Villages North of the Rabacca Dry River were electrified as part of the North Windward electrification programme
- 1988 - 2 additional engines were installed at Cumberland Station
- 1987- Third Hydro station at Cumberland was commissioned with three engines
- 1985- The St. Vincent Electricity Services Limited became a fully owned state enterprise
- 1976 – Cane Hall Power Station was officially commissioned
- 1974- Union Island power station was commissioned and the Fuel Surcharge was introduced
- 1973 – Electricity Supply Act gave VINLEC exclusive licence to supply electricity
- 1971 – Government of SVG acquired 49% of the shares of VINLEC
- 1968 – Bequia Power Station was commissioned
- 1967 VINLEC signed an agreement with the government of St. Vincent and the Grenadines to supply electricity to Bequia
- 1962 – 2nd Hydro Station: Richmond Power Station
- 1961 St. Vincent Electricity Services Limited was incorporated
- 1953-Multi-national Corporation-Commonwealth Development Corporation (CDC) took ownership of the Electricity Company
- 1952-The first Hydro Station opened at South Rivers Power Station.
- 1937 All day electricity service was introduced to 478 customers
- 1931- Public electricity services were initiated in the Colony of St. Vincent.