Frequently Asked Questions

QWhat is the minimum age for a customer to make an application for service?

AA customer must at least be 18 years old to make an application for service.

QHow long will it take for Vinlec to install a new service?

ANew services are usually connected within 7 working days after the applicant has made the application. However, if additional line work is required by Vinlec for the service to be connected or additional work is required by the electrician to meet the installation requirements the service connection will be scheduled on completion of this work.

QDoes someone need to be at the premises for the service to be installed?

ANot necessarily. Once there is ease of access to the point of supply and the electrician has not made any special provision that will require his presence when the connection is being made, then no one need to be at the premises.

QHow much deposit is required?

AA deposit is normally equivalent to approximately two months average electricity bills.

QWhen is the deposit due?

AThe deposit is due within two days of the service being connected and can be paid at our Corporate Office located in Kingstown or at branches of the National Commercial Bank in the Grenadines Islands.

QDoes the deposit earn interest?

AYes, a deposit accrues 4 percent interest annually.

QWhen is the deposit refunded?

ADeposits and earned interest are refunded to consumers after their supply is permanently disconnected and all outstanding bills are paid.

QWhat should I do if power goes off?

AListed below are some tips to better prepare you when a loss of electricity occurs.

  • Before calling Vinlec check your circuit breakers or fuse box to determine if the cause of the outage is a blown fuse or tripped breaker.  Look for lights at your neighbours’ homes to see if they are affected.
  • If it’s not a breaker or fuse box, call to report the outage at 456-1540.
  • Where possible turn off all major electrical equipment to minimize overloading the circuits in your home – and the company electrical system – when the power is restored.
  • If your lights are very dim or are unusually bright when the power returns, turn off the power at the breaker or fuse box and call again.  There may still be a problem.
  • Turn on a porch light or one inside light so you will know when power is restored.
  • Prepare for outages ahead of time.  Keep an emergency kit handy including a flashlight, battery operated radio and extra batteries.
  • Remember, if left intact a freezer or refrigerator can effectively keep its contents hygienic for several hours.
  • Upon the return of power, delay for a few minutes the powering-up of your major electrical appliances.

Be sure and check in on any friends and neighbour who may need extra help.

QHow often should I receive an Electricity Bill?

QElectricity accounts are billed on a monthly basis.

QWhy do I at times receive an estimated bill?

AYou may at times receive an estimated bill if our Meter Readers are unable to access the electricity meter at the scheduled reading time.

QHow is my estimated bill calculated?

AWe calculate an estimated bill based on the historic review of your actual average use of electricity for the past three months. The word “Est” will appear just below the “RDG Type” stated on the bill.

QWhat information will I need to make an enquiry on my electricity account?

AYou are encouraged to provide the electricity meter number, account number or the customer name when making an enquiry on an account in order to facilitate the accessing of the account.

QDoes VINLEC grant requests for the cutting of trees, whether in private or public property?

AVINLEC accommodates requests for tree trimming as long as it is in close proximity to power lines We are authorized to trim/prune/cut trees including palms and shrubs which disrupt electric power distribution.

If trees do not pose a danger to the electricity lines it is the responsibility of the owner to have the trees trimmed.  The Forestry Division of the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries can be contacted (Tel: 457-8594) to provide assistance, in this regard.

QHow Can I made a request for the trimming/cutting of trees?

ACall VINLEC's Emergency Hotline at  Tel: 456-1540 or any of our offices to initiate a request for tree trimming.  You will need to provide the following:

  • Location of the tree
  • Owner of the tree - if possible, name and telephone number of the owner.
  • Information relating to problems associated with your electricity supply, i.e. if there are sparks coming from the wire or near the overgrown tree; if your lights go on and off intermittently.
QCan a customer initiate the cutting/trimming of his own tree?

ACutting trees that are within close proximity to power lines can endanger your life and may cause interruption in the power supply.  It is therefore not advisable that you do it yourself.